Here are answers to frequently asked questions about OLLI. If you have a question, you can check here to see if your question has already been answered. If not, contact us.
- What can I do to give myself the best possible chance of getting into the classes I want?
- What is OLLI E-News? Where can I get a copy?
- How do I arrange to have an item put into OLLI E-News?
- If I have a suggestion, concern or complaint, to whom should I give it?
- What are the administrative office hours at Tallwood?
- When does the OLLI Board of directors meet? Can I attend the meetings?
1. What can I do to give myself the best possible chance of getting into the classes I want?
Courses and activities are limited by available space or other factors. The most important thing you can do to improve your chances of getting the courses and activities you want is to register during OLLI Mason’s priority registration period (see the back cover of the catalog for priority registration dates). You must request your classes and prioritize them in order of their importance to you. Several weeks later, the OLLI Mason registration system assigns classes based on the priority number members assign to their requests. Thereafter, registration in classes is assigned on a space-available basis.
The large majority of OLLI Mason’s classes are assigned through this request/prioritization process. Be aware, however, several OLLI Mason offerings are “add to cart” and assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. These are usually bus trips, performances and offerings with fees. All Add to Cart courses and special events are clearly indicated throughout the catalog with a shopping cart icon. If there is a fee associated with these offerings, they will also be clearly marked with a shopping cart followed by a dollar sign. Payment for these courses and special events with fees must be made at the time of registration.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You are urged to register early for Add to Cart offerings, especially trips and performances. These popular offerings can fill up quickly, even as early as the first day of registration. Early registration will increase your chances for enrollment.
2. What is OLLI E-News? Where can I get a copy?
OLLI E-News is OLLI's email newsletter—OLLI's primary way of keeping members informed about what is going on at OLLI, including news flashes, alerts, reminders, feature articles and notices, upcoming non-class events and other information. OLLI E-News is emailed to members on Friday when classes are in session. During class terms, the newsletter is also printed and placed in classrooms and the social room, primarily for members without email. Between terms, OLLI E-News is published on a reduced schedule. The schedule is announced in the OLLI E-News near the end of the term. If you are not receiving OLLI E-News in your email inbox, check your spam folder. It is also advisable to have email@example.com in your email address book. If this does not solve the problem, call, visit, or email the office and make sure your correct email address is in OLLI's files. At any time and from any location in the world you can use an Internet-connected computer to look at the most recent issues on the OLLI Website. Back to question list
3. How do I arrange to have an item put into OLLI E-News?
Submit the item to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 6:00 PM on Tuesday for Friday's issue three days later (submission before the deadline would be appreciated). Back to question list
4. If I have a suggestion, concern or complaint, to whom should I give it?
There are a number of possibilities, partly depending on the nature of your suggestion, concern or complaint.
- You may submit signed or anonymous comments via the suggestion box in the Tallwood social room or the online suggestion box. (Note: If you want your comments to be considered for publication in OLLI E-News as a letter to the editor, please identify it as such, and make sure you include your name and phone number or email address; anonymous letters to the editor are acceptable for publication if you provide contact information so we can verify that you are an OLLI member.)
- You may email or give comments to the office, who will pass them on to the appropriate person.
- You may give comments to any member of the Board, to any committee or resource group chair, or to the executive director, who will pass them on to the appropriate person (you may wish to refer to the Organization page and give your comments to the person you believe is responsible).
- You may send an email to the entire Board (send it to the OLLI administrator or the OLLI E-News editor, asking that it go to the Board, and your message will be forwarded to all members of the Board).
- Or follow these simple guidelines: If the subject is administrative or financial, or about your membership, see the office; if it concerns courses, see Program Associate Beth Davis or Program Committee Chair Kathryn Russell. Back to question list
5. What are the administrative office hours at Tallwood?
During our spring, fall and winter terms, office hours are Monday through Thursday, 9:00-4:00, and Friday, 9:00-noon. When classes are not in session and during the summer term, office hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00-noon. Back to question list
6. When does the OLLI Board of directors meet and can I attend the meetings?
The Board normally meets at 10:00 every month except during May (Board elections), August and December, usually at OLLI's headquarters at Tallwood, on the third Friday of the month (exact dates are published in advance in OLLI E-News). OLLI members are encouraged to attend Board meetings, and an opportunity is always provided for comments from members, usually near the end of each meeting. You can also check the OLLI online calendar on the website, or contact the office to be sure that the Board will be meeting at a scheduled time if you plan to attend. Back to question list