Board of Directors
Terms end when the new Board convenes in the month
indicated; click image to view enews profile or candidate bio.
OLLI is a membership organization with an 15-person Board of Directors selected by the membership to three-year terms. One-third of the Board is elected each year. The board size is being reduced from 18 to 15, based on bylaws change, It was approved by membersip last year, one per year reduction. You can recognize Board members by their white name tags. Activities at OLLI are managed by the executive director (a full-time employee), member volunteers and a small staff of part-timeemployees. OLLI members are encouraged to participate in the many support functions by volunteering; see the volunteer page, the current volunteer-opportunities page and the Member
Handbook (pdf) for more information on volunteering at OLLI.Officers. At its first meeting following the May election of Board members, the Board of Directors elects four of its members to one-year terms as officers of the Institute. At the new Board's first meeting on June 18, 2021, the four OLLI officers were elected. These current OLLI officers are shown below (click an image to view profile/bio). A list of all OLLI presidents may be found here.
Board of Directors-Elected by the general membership during the month of May. The term of office commences with the first regular meeting of the Board to be held within six weeks after the closing date of the election.
How to Contact a Director or the Board-To send an email to any director, please obtain his/her email address by consulting the online Membership Directory (first log in to the Member Portal, then click Member Directory in the left-hand navigation panel). To send an email to the entire Board, which any OLLI member is welcome to do, please send your email to the executive director or the OLLI administrator, asking that it go to the Board.
- Toni Acton Elected May 2021; 1st Board term ends June 2024. Bio
- Camille Hodges Elected May 2021; 1st Board term ends June 2024. Bio
- Bob Heyer Elected May 2020; 1st Board term ends June 5, 2023. Bio
- Paul Howard Elected May 2020; 2nd Board term ends June 2023. Bio
- Fred Kaiser Elected May 2019; 1st Board term ends June 2022. Bio
- Gloria Loew Elected May 2020; 2nd Board term ends June 2023. Bio
- Rosemary Lubinski Elected May 2019; 1st Board term ends June 2022. Bio
- Marianne Metz Re-elected May 2019; 2nd Board term ends June 2022 (see note below). Bio
- Debby Mossburg Elected May 2021; 1st Board term ends June 2024. Bio
- David Osterman Appointed June 2018 to fill term of Dave Ryan, who resigned in May 2018; 2nd Board term ends June 2023. Bio.
- Mel Russell Elected May 2020; 2nd Board term ends June 2023. Bio
- Charles Silver Elected May 2018; 2nd Board term ends June 2024. Bio
- Al Smuzynski Appointed June 2020 to fill vacancy 3/16/20. Bio
- Peter Ansoff Appointed January 2022 to fill the term of Dave Talaber, who resigned in December 2021; ends June 2023.
- Rita Way Re-elected May 2019; 2nd Board term ends June 2022 (see note below). bio
- Carolyn Wyatt Elected May 2019; 2nd Board term ends June 2022. Bio
- Zachary Teich Elected May 2021; 1st Board term ends 2024. Bio
Note: Directors completing a second consecutive three-year Board term must wait at least two years after the second term before running again. Ex-officio members of the Board, non-voting, by virtue of position (e.g., executive director and-listed below alphabetically by chair's last name-committee chairs who are not directors).
- Jennifer Disano Executive Director. Bio(2018) or Enews Profile Feb 2014.
- Sally Berman Landscape Committee Co-chair.
- Doris Bloch Program Committee Co-chair.
- Open Development Committee Co-chair.
- Sigrid Carlson Landscape Committee Co-chair.
- Pat Carroll University Liaison Committee Chair. Bio.
- Paul Van Hemel E-News Committee Chair.
- Ernestine Meyer Website Committee Chair. Profile.
- Kathryn Russell Program Committee Co-chair. Profile.
- Nancy Scheeler Program Committee Co-chair.
- Russell Stone Program Committee Co-Chair.
- William Taylor Program Committee Co-Chair.
- Paul Van Hemel E-News Committee Chair.
Other Key OLLI Positions Listed below. Feel free to contact any director or any of these individuals in person or by telephone or email with your comments, suggestions or questions about OLLI. If the name is in green below (underlined when your cursor is over it), you may click the name to instantly send that person an email message. To find telephone numbers and email addresses of members whose telephone numbers and email links are not listed below, consult the OLLI Membership Directory (online at the Member Portal; requires log-in). Committees (click name to view committee's mission and responsibilities)
- Audiovisual Support, (committee's web page) chair: Paul Howard
- E-News, chair: Paul Van Hemel
- Facilities, chair: Mel Russell
- Finance, chair: David Osterman
- Governance, chair: Lillian Brooks
- Landscaping, co-chairs: Sigrid Carlson and Sally Berman
- Member Services chair: Toni Acton
- Outreach, chair: Debbie Mossburg
- Program, co-chairs: Doris Bloch; Kathryn Russell; Nancy Scheeler, Profile; Bill Taylor and Russell Stone, Profile.
- Publications, chair: vacant
- Strategic Planning, chair: Charles Silver
- University Liaison, chair: Vacant
- Website, chair: Ernestine Meyer, Profile
Program Planning Groups (submit course suggestions to the appropriate program planning group listed below or to the OLLI Program Associates staff by clicking email@example.com)
- Art and Music, co-chairs: Marianne Metz; and Kosmo Tatalias, Linda Harber, Christine Narbut
- Economics and Finance, chair: Leo Brennan,Profile; Brenda Bloch-Young, Ray Willson, Marvin Singer
- History, co-chairs: Emmett Fenlon (Profile); Bernie Oppel; Dick Young (Profile); and Beth Lambert
- Humanities and Social Sciences, Current Events: co-chairs: Camille Hodges, and Peg O'Brien
- Literature, Theater and Writing/Languages, co-chairs: Pat Bangs; Linda Bergman; Jackie Gropman; Norma Jean Reck, Jane Fitzgibbons.
- Loudoun Planning Group, chairs: Barbara Wilan, Profile, Vera Wentworth
- Religious Studies, chair: Steve Goldman, Profile
- Reston Planning Group, Anita Lasansky; [Reston points of contact for courses in some subject categories are listed under those program planning groups]
- Science, Technology and Health, chairs: Mark Dodge; Michele Romano, and Mary Kornreich
- Special Events, co-chairs: Rita Way, Luci Martel
Presidential Appointments (view responsibilities)
- OLLI Historian, Vacant
- OLLI Representative to Arts at Mason Board, Vacant
- Site Coordinators
- Loudoun Coordinator, vacant
- Reston Coordinators, Anita Lasansky and Sigrid Fishpaw
- Executive Director, Jennifer Disano, Bio(2018) or Profile, Job Description
- OLLI Administrator, Susan Todenhoft, Profile 703-503-3384
- Program Associate, Shannon Kim Morrow, Profile 703-503-3384
- Finance Associate, Karen Nash, Profile 703-503-3384
- Communications and Program Associate, Nancy Klein, Profile 703-503-3384
- Registrar, Susan Job, Profile 703-503-3384, 571-408-9133
- Tallwood Site Assistant, Mike Emery, 703-503-3384
- Loudoun Site Assistant, Irina Ircha
- Reston Site Assistant, Brenton Abrams
- Off-Site Assistants, Meg Przybylski,i, Julija Pivo, Richard Holback
- OLLI E-News 2.0 Editor-in-Chief and E-News Committee Chair, Paul Van Hemel
- OLLI E-News Creator & Editor (July 2005-July 2013), Rod Zumbro, Bio
- OLLI Ink Editor, Caroline McNeil
- Poets of OLLI Editor, Jan Bohall, Profile
- Publications Committee Chair, vacant
- Webmaster and Website Committee Chair, Ernestine Meyer, Profile